Mimolette Mac and Cheese may not be common here in the states, but it is well-known in France. This cheese actually looks more like cantaloupe, but I promise you it’s not. The orange color comes from the natural seasoning, annatto, which has a sweet and nutty flavor. Who knew right?
While it is quite popular on a gourmet cheese board, I thought I would share a great way to make a meal out of this rich orange French cheese.
When you want to impress your friends whip up this simple one pan Mimolette Mac and Cheese. Pair it with a rich red and enjoy! You can order this French cheese online or find a local retailer from our friends Cheeses of France.
Last week I was in France and I saw this beautiful bright orange cheese in a patisserie, I didn’t love it alone just a bit too nutty for me. This fabulous woman told me it was better in pasta with cream. So I came home and thought of a savory recipe to go with this aromatic cheese.
Mimolette Mac and Cheese
- 1 Box pasta cooked al-dente (any kind you like)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1/4 C White Wine
- 1 cup finely grated Mimolette cheese
- 2-3 Tbsp whipping cream
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt butter in skillet and saute shallots and garlic on medium low
2. Increase heat to medium, add white wine, stir until it evaporates
3. Add chicken broth, grated Mimolette cheese and stir until melted
4. Once cheese is melted add the whipping cream
5. Toss Pasta in the sauce
9. Add freshly cracked black pepper
In under 30 minutes you will be serving an amazingly rich, gourmet mac and cheese to your dinner guests! Follow our Friends at Cheeses of France on facebook for more fantastic recipes.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Cheeses of France.