Christmas on the Potomac at Gaylord National Resort, runs from November 15- December 30,2019. Here you can delight in beautiful holiday displays, enjoy a magical Christmas Village and enjoy ICE!, featuring The Grinch! Be it a day trip, or an overnight package, you will want to visit this magical display during the holiday season.
Christmas On The Potomac
We are lucky enough to live within 90 minutes of the Gaylord National Resort. It sits on the banks of the Potomac River overlooking Northern Virginia and Washington DC. What I love about Gaylord National, is you get all of the amenities of a big city resort, without going into the city. The Gaylord comes to life during the holiday season. Take a look at my complete guide to Christmas on the Potomac.
ICE! Featuring Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Each year Gaylord National is host to the renowned show ICE!, if you haven’t experienced ICE! you are truly missing out on a spectacular attraction. Artisans from China are brought in and hand carve all of the amazing ice sculptures and creations. The building is kept at 9 degrees so the ice will not melt. You are given a special parka before entering the building, however don’t forget your hat and gloves, because it is COLD!
Fun Facts About ICE!
- 2 Million+ pounds of ice used to create ICE!
- 6,000 ice blocks
- Nearly 400 lbs. total weight of block of ice before it is hand-carved
- 13 different colors of ice used in the attraction
- 1,500+ of specially designed light tubes frozen within the ice, illuminating the ice from the inside
- 4 ice slides nearly two stories tall
- 19 feet 3.5 inches is the tallest ice structure in the attraction
- 30 days to carve the ice and build the attraction
Cirque Dreams Unwrapped
The atrium comes alive with Cirque Dreams Unwrapped. Enjoy a fun Christmas tale, with vibrant costumes, acrobatics and thrills! You can purchase reserved seating for the weekend shows starting at $19.99. There is limited standing room only areas that are first come first served.
We love this show, and really wish it was longer than 25 minutes. I had three ten-year old girls with me last year, that sat in awe the entire show. I would suggest waiting to see the later shows, the large atrium window makes for the sun-glare and the affects weren’t as vibrant.
Christmas Miracles Laser Show
Four times each evening, the atrium comes alive, with lasers, stars, dancing fountains and indoor snow all to the tune of your holiday favorites.
Christmas Tree Trail
Take a stroll through the atrium and see the beautiful tree displays that feature various countries from around the world.
Breakfast with The Grinch
This one of a kind experience is available on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. at Pienza Marketplace, offering an incredible breakfast buffet. As you dine you will meet The Grinch and his pal Sam.
Step inside this enchanting and fun village to discover a winter wonderland to explore. From story time, to cookie decorating and even ice skating you will delight in family fun.
Ice Skating– New for 2019, enjoy ice skating inside a huge covered area with glass walls, creating fun no matter the weather outside.
Cocoa Shoppe– Warm up after ice with a cup of hot cocoa, don’t forget your souvenir cup!
Potomac Express Train– Kids 42″ and under can enjoy this mini holiday train ride. $4.99 per person
Carousel– Kids 42″ and under can take a ride on one of the classic carousel horses. $4.99 per person
Christmas Shoppe– From beautiful ornaments to ICE! souvenirs, don’t miss this holiday shoppe.
The Grinch’s Wonderful Awful Idea Scavenger Hunt (new for 2019) – and interactive, indoor scavenger hunt with clues and puzzles, solve all the clues and win a prize.
Gingerbread Decorating Corner– Craft your holiday masterpiece by making a Gingerbread House or a Family of Cookies. This is always one of our favorite activities. $30 and up per kit.
Mrs. Claus Christmas Traditions- Grab a bean bag and enjoy story time and Christmas Carols with Mrs. Claus. She may even have Milk and Cookies for you. $12.99 per person
Santa Souvenir Photo- What’s a holiday tradition without a visit to Santa! Tell him what you want this year, and pose for a photo. $25 and up.
New For 2019
Each year Christmas on the Potomac gets larger, and this year has added a ton of new experiences.
- Reindeer Rush Ice Tubing – two-stories tall with the added fun of tubing with the speed of ice!
- Winter Square – Indoor ice skating, fire pits, and outdoor bar
- Tinsel Tavern – an over the top ugly sweater themed bar serving adult beverages for Mom and Dad and hot chocolate for the kiddos around outdoor fire pits.
Full Guide To Christmas On The Potomac
Stay Overnight For The Full Experience
We have always loved our overnight visits at Gaylord National. It’s a beautiful AAA 4 Diamond Resort on the banks of the beautiful Potomac River. What’s not to love?
Overnight guests can enjoy these special events:
- VIP Carver Showcase: a private, live ice carving demonstration by artisans from Harbin, China.
- Christmas Corner: Stop in the Gaylord Post Office to write letters to Santa and drop them in the giant red mail box with special delivery to the North Pole. This cute little outpost offers everything needed to write a letter to Santa.
- Silent Disco on Ice: Dance, twist, shout and skate to an array of holiday tunes delivered to personal, wireless headphones. Three music channels offer tunes for every taste with exclusive skate time just for hotel guests.
- Pajama Story Time with Snowflake the Elf: Hotel guests can join Snowflake the Elf in the living room at Mrs. Claus’ House in Christmas Village. This night time tradition offers private access to Mrs. Claus’ house for story time fun just before bed.
Christmas Dreams Suite– If you want a truly unforgettable experience book this special suite. You will enjoy a Christmas welcome gift with warm fuzzy socks, seasonally scented bath products, a holiday snack basket and Resort Pastry Chef Mohan’s selection of fresh-made Christmas confectioneries. This home away from home includes valet parking and a one-hour professional photo shoot creating the perfect setting for family Christmas pictures or even a surprise holiday proposal.
Are you ready to add Christmas on the Potomac to your holiday schedule? ICE! is a ticketed event and will sell out, especially on the weekends. Be sure to book your package now.
Pin It For Later