Sweetwater County is an area in Southwest Wyoming boasting over 10,000 square miles of outdoor fun. If you have yet to plan your summer vacation maybe these ideas will peak your interest.
Sweetwater County, Wyoming
Sweetwater County is characterized by wide open spaces, Boasting over 10.500 square miles, that is a lot of elbow room to escape from the hustle and bustle of every day. Sweetwater County is best experienced in summer, when outdoor recreation opportunities are at their peak. Here are the top 7 ways to spend summer days in Sweetwater County.
- Lake Flaming Gorge: At Lake Flaming Gorge, visitors can enjoy the same recreational opportunities Lake Powell offers, without the crowds. For this reason, the lake has become a haven for boating, jet skiing, waterskiing and fishing. A trip to Sweetwater County simply isn’t complete without a visit to this authentically Western on-the-water escape.
- Killpecker Sand Dunes: Visitors are invited to come play in nature’s sandbox. The huge sand dune field spans 100 miles from east to west and reaches heights of up to 100 feet. At 11,000 acres, it’s the second-largest moving sand dune field in the word. A herd of rare desert elk that are found nowhere else in North America make their home here. The dunes are a popular spot for recreationalists who enjoy hiking and exploring the area on ATVs. (Note: adventure-seekers should bring their own toys– rentals are not available in Sweetwater County).
- White Mountain Petroglyphs: Explore history through the carvings in the sandstone walls of White Mountain that beckon history buffs, photographers and hikers. The etchings are the story book of the Plains and Great Basin Native Americans who lived in the area up to 1,000 years ago.
- Mountain Biking: Sweetwater County features some of the nation’s most sought-after mountain bike trails. Wilkins Peak Bike Trail System, accessed on the southeastern side of Green River, has been named the top trail system in Wyoming. The extensive, well-maintained trails have something for any rider – from beginners to experts. The Green River Bike Park features trails and dirt jumps, an elevated trail with ladder bridges, a pump track, and a beginner skills area.
- Camping: Sweetwater County boasts 17 campgrounds and RV parks, allowing plenty of opportunity to get out and catch a breath of fresh air. The campsites offer a little something for everyone – gorgeous views, RV connections, perfectly flat tent pads and just the right amount of roughing it, depending on the site campers choose.
- Whitewater: The Green River runs through the town of Green River and can be accessed from many points throughout the county. The Whitewater Park and North Channel Tubing section at Expedition Island Park are fun for frolicking. Near the outdoor Splash Park there is a lazy river and tubing channel that features a series of drops and three large pools. The Castle Falls Feature, a state-of-the-art whitewater park and play area, is located at the southeast tip of Expedition Island Park. Kayak and tube rentals are available at White Mountain Lumber and Rental.
- Fishing: In Sweetwater County anglers have their pick of tail waters, reservoirs, streams and a river that all lead to one thing – some of the best coldwater fishing in the country. The Green River runs into Lake Flaming Gorge, which is the largest reservoir in Wyoming and offers Burbot, as well as four types of cutthroat trout: golden, brook, brown mackinaw and rainbow.
With so many fantastic offerings during the summer, how will you spend it in Sweetwater County, Wyoming?