On a recent Carnival Cruise we had the opportunity to spend the day on Grand Turk in Turks and Caicos. If you have not had the opportunity to visit this beautiful island you should add this to your bucket list.
The ship was docked by 9 a.m. and we were on the pier by 9.30 for our day in Grand Turk. When you arrive in Grand Turk you will enter a little shopping village. It is not as large as some shopping cruise ports, however it does have a Diamonds International, Del Sol and Ron Jon Surf Shop along with a few other shops. You can get your duty and tax free items while in port if shopping is on your list.
Once you pass the shopping area you will come upon one of the largest Margaritaville Restaurants I have seen. Offering a huge pool, a surf rider and multiple bars it’s a great spot to beat the heat with a few frozen cocktails. It’s very family friendly as well. Good food and cold drinks are all in a days vacation right?
There is a free beach as soon as you pass Margaritaville, it is a little crowded and not what we enjoy. We found a hidden gem about 1/4 mile down beach from all the hustle and bustle of the main port. Jack’s Shack!
Come to find out Jack’s Shack is where the cruise staff also escapes to on their days off. I can certainly see why. It’s quiet, has a gorgeous beach and the friendliest owners on the island.
Jack’s Shack is the culmination of Jack’s career in waterfront construction around the world. Jack’s last marine construction project was the Grand Turk Cruise port. He met Janet and stayed on island, the rest is history. Together they enjoy sharing their island stories with the cruise passengers willing to venture out along the sandy beach to experience their slice of paradise.
Here is what you can expect when you visit Jacks Shack:
- FREE Snorkeling in the crystal blue waters of Grand Turk. No gear to rent here Jack loans it to you for free.
- Lounge on the beach. Chairs are FREE and umbrellas are $10 for the day
- Enjoy a cool drink. The best-selling drink is the rum punch, you may want to watch your intake they pour mighty strong drinks at Jacks Shack
- Check your email with Jacks FREE WI-FI
- Grab a bite to eat. Leroy the singing chef makes the best jerk chicken and conch fritters I have ever tasted. No seriously, he cooks on a porch in a hut and it’s fantastic island fare.
- Swim and play with their puppy Topher. My daughter couldn’t get enough of this experience.
- Enjoy the view of your ship from down beach
Jack’s Shack is a gem of a place on a rather small stretch of the island. Walk down beach, grab a chair and a cold drink you wont be sorry you did.