To celebrate its 23rd year, the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will expand to 90 days and run from March 2-May 30, 2016, at Walt Disney World Resort. Additional days aren’t the only thing park guests will have an opportunity to experience; from fresh flavors at the festival’s Outdoor Kitchens to new Disney character topiaries and play gardens, this year’s festival will be better than ever!
Here is what we have to look forward to at this years festival:
- In a horticultural nod to the brightest star in Earth’s orbit, Disney gardeners will paint the landscape with golden colors that will begin with a Floral Sun garden behind Spaceship Earth and yellow “sunbursts” that pop up across the Future World landscape. By night, twinkling lights will shine across festival gardens.
- New culinary creations will star at the festival’s Outdoor Kitchens where, for the fourth festival year, guests can taste garden- and spring-inspired food and beverages and have their complimentary Garden Passports stamped. If you aren’t able to visit Disney for Food and Wine this is a great opportunity to try some of the great samples!
- The first-ever Huey, Dewey and Louie topiaries will feature floral characteristics of Donald’s nephews inspired by a 1943 Donald Duck comic book called “The Victory Garden.”
- The Ranger Mickey topiary garden in Future World will offer a guest “selfie” and family photo opportunity featuring a Spaceship Earth backdrop.
- An innovative new “Fab Five” play garden featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Pluto and Donald Duck topiaries will debut with musical instruments built into children’s outdoor climbing systems.
- Anna and Elsa topiaries will travel to the Norway pavilion festival landscape after their 2015 debut along World Showcase Plaza in a scene from the blockbuster Oscar-winning animated film, “Frozen.” Nearly 100 topiary characters, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Lady and the Tramp, Simba and Peter Pan, will animate the Epcot landscape surrounded by sweeping garden beds and exhibits.
- The Garden Rocks concert series will present pop bands with music spanning four decades. Once the performers are announced I will be sure to share!
- More than 10 mini-gardens will surprise guests around every corner. A new edible flower garden near Morocco pavilion will showcase petals with flavor.
- The Butterflies on the Go garden will return with the story of the Monarch’s epic journey across the continent and will feature butterflies emerging from their chrysalises.
- Disney gardeners will lead weekend how-to Gardening Seminars at the Festival Center, where guests also can pick up signature festival merchandise. Guest experts will conduct complimentary seminars on a wide range of gardening and outdoor living topics.
- When the sun sets, illuminated topiary and play gardens will glow brightly for an after-dark festival experience.
Dozens of Disney-crafted “flower towers” and beds of multi-colored blooms will add to the floral splendor of the park’s landscape. At least 70,000 bedding plants will surround the Future World east and west lakes alone; on the water, 220 mini-gardens will be set afloat.
Visit EpcotInSpring.com for more details on programs and exhibits.